TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of June 15, 2017
1.Which unscrambled summer word comes last in the dictionary?
2.Which two agencies are most likely to investigate a mid-air collision?
- IRS and SEC
- FEMA and FBI
- FEMA and NOAA
- CIA and FAA
- NTSB and FAA
3.Twelve times 3.5 to the 10th power is
- 42 times 10 to the 10th power
- 35 times 10 to the 12th power
- 36.5 times 10 to the 12th power
- 12 times 10 to the 3rd power
- 4.2 times 10 to the 11th power
4.To paraphrase an old saying, A duo is a pleasant social engagement, but
- a trio is excessively contiguous.
- a quartet sounds sour.
- a forgiving person is heavenly.
- a single swims alone.
- a quintet lacks color.
5.Which pair of prefixes means "around" ?
- Sub-, under-
- circum-, peri-
- Quasi-, semi-
- Pre-, ante-
- Quadra-, tetra-
6.Which is the middle value from this list?
- The number of states that border Canada plus the number of states that border Mexico
- The number of senators from Hawaii plus the number of years Jimmy Carter was in office
- The number of years since Neil Armstrong's famous walk minus the number of justices on the Supreme Court
- The number of years of bad luck superstition associates with breaking a mirror plus the number of New England states
- The number of Wonders of the Ancient World plus the number of hooves hitched at one time in a famous St-Louis-based Clydesdale team
7.Point is to font as __________ is to mass?
8.What plant did colonists use to make blue dyes?
9.Which would not have a web address ending in .edu?
- The Electoral College
- Penn State University
- The Smithsonian Institution
- The College of William and Mary
- The University of the South
10.Which word in this sentence is a preposition?
As long as it's this hot, I will keep a water bottle carefully tucked inside my backpack.
© 2006-2017 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.