TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of November 26, 2016
1.When someone is between a rock and a hard place, he...
- can't win for losing
- has stars in his eyes
- wears his heart on his sleeve
- is wearing rose colored glasses
- is a chip of the old block
2.If a stuffed turkey must roast for approximately 25 min. per pound, which approximate pair below is WRONG?
- 18 lbs. - about 7.5 hours
- 13.75 lbs. - about 6.5 hrs.
- 11.5 lbs. - about 4 hrs. 45 min.
- 16 lbs. - about 6 hrs. 45 min.
- 20 lbs. - about 8 hrs. 15 min.
3.Why do many Alaskan car and truck windshields have cracks?
- Because everyone drives electric cars.
- Because oil fumes crack glass.
- Because it gets dark early, and everyone drives with their lights on.
- Because gravel provides good traction when temperatures are too low for road salt to work.
- Because sled dogs send flying booties into the roads.
4.Miniscule is to small as
- Omnipotent is to strong
- Tall is to slender
- Quiet is to silent
- Evil is to dangerous
- Reticent is to shy
5.Which would be used in a similar way in a sentence to the old-time expression, "Lo"?
6.Which two are land-locked?
- Bolivia and Paraguay
- Brazil and Peru
- Bolivia and Chile
- Paraguay and Venezuela
- Columbia and Argentina
7.In the nineteenth century, an iron horse was:
- a locomotive
- a wagon
- a breathing machine
- a blacksmith
- a strong horse
8.The nation's deepest cave is 1,593 ft deep and is located at Carlsbad Caverns National Park. What state will you travel to when you visit this cave?
- New Mexico
9.This state's nickname is The Palmetto State
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
10.During World War II, rationing in the United States involved
- Glass, plastic, and newspapers
- Newspapers, chocolate, and disks
- Sugar, gasoline, and meat
- Water, sugar, and flour
- Gasoline, film, and shoes
© 2006-2016 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.