TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of April 18, 2017
1.When Renee's mom uses the expression "with a grain of salt," she is
- Speaking with skepticism
- Speaking literally
- Talking about gourmet cooking
- Talking about sore wounds
- Talking quietly
2.The term "carbon footprint" has to do with
- determining the age of a fossil
- determining the environmental impact of something/someone
- determining the size of an animal's hoof
- determining the number of atoms in a molecule
- determining the cost of charcoal
3.If you need 37 boards to build a tree house and you have 23 boards, you have:
- an equilibrium
- a deficit
- a surplus
- an overdraft
- an accountant
4.Where would you find brackish water?
- a savannah
- a plateau
- a fjord
- a glacier
- a delta
5.This troubled painter is famous for irises, a picture of a night sky, and swirling pictures of cypress trees.
6.The number of keys on a piano divided by the number of vertices in a rhombus is:
7.In the 1920s, what did Prohibition outlaw?
- criminal gangs
- sale of alcoholic beverages
- playing cards
8.Which is written in first person?
- The Raven
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
- Casey at the Bat
- Winnie the Pooh
- Tom Sawyer
9.Which would NOT be a likely term heard in the music room?
10.Susan is the tallest girl on the basketball team. If she quits the team and no one else joins, the average height of the team members will:
- go up
- go down
- stay the same
- go up, then down
- not enough information
© 2006-2017 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.