TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of October 28, 2016
1.Copernicus advanced the theory that: (10 points)
- planets travel in orbits
- the moon orbits the sun
- the sun is a star
- the earth orbits the sun
- the sun orbits the earth
2.Which was furthest north? (20 points)
- Oklahoma Territory
- Western Reserve
- Louisiana Purchase
- Seward's Folly
- Plymouth Plantation
3.Which is largest? (10 points)
4.A degree of Fahrenheit measurement: (5 points)
- is the same as a degree of Celsius measurement
- measures only solids
- is larger than a degree of Celsius measurement
- is smaller than a degree of Celsius measurement
- measures only liquids
5.Who does not belong? (10 points)
6.Which sentence contains a punctuation error? (5 points)
- We'll snowboard and ski, but we'll stay warm.
- Do you want to come with us?
- Soon school will have a break and we'll go to the slopes.
- Sarah, Sam, and I will probably stay on the slopes all day.
- Check with your mom, just in case.
7.Which of the following is least likely to be a factor in air pollution? (5 points)
8.This famous American suggested that the national bird should be the turkey - not the bald eagle. (20 points)
- Thomas Jefferson
- George Washington
- Benjamin Franklin
- Betsy Ross
- Paul Revere
9.Which of the following pairs does not belong? (10 points)
- Treacherous - dangerous
- Embellish - decorate
- Fizzy - effervescent
- Gregarious - friendly
- Inconsistent - steadfast
10.What is the next number in this sequence? 5, 25, 250, 3750, 75000 (5 points)
© 2006-2016 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.