TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of December 6, 2017
1.The candles on Rachel's menorah burn only 6 hours. If she kept her menorah lit for 3 hours each night, how many candles did she need to buy to keep her menorah properly lit for all 7 nights of Hanukkah?
2.The department store advertised "take an additional 15% off" the sale price of 50% off. A scooter originally priced at $120 would cost:
3.Larva is to pupa as
- Butterfly is to moth
- Toddler is to mother
- Egg is to hatch
- Dog is to puppy
- Child is to teen
4.Which does not act as a leavening agent in holiday baking?
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
5.Which match is correct?
- Emma Lazarus - your poor, your huddled masses...
- Shakespeare - Whose woods these are, I think I know...
- George Washington - Fourscore and seven years ago...
- Homer Simpson - I shall return
- Rudolph Guilliani - I have a dream...
6.Which sentence is correct?
- Are cars won't start.
- Its too cold and dark.
- The daze is two short.
- It really annoys my friend and I.
- None of us likes winter.
7.Bob is older than Jeff. Amir is younger than Jeff. Glenn's age is between Amir and Jeff's. What is the order of the of the boys' age from oldest to youngest?
- Amir, Bob, Jeff, Glenn
- Jeff, Glenn, Amir, Bob
- Bob, Glenn, Amir, Jeff
- Glenn, Amir, Bob, Jeff
- Bob, Jeff, Glenn, Amir
8.Which invention happened last?
- Sewing machine
9.December 15, 1791 is the date what was ratified?
- Women's right to vote
- the 14th Amendment
- The first ten amendments to the U.S. Constitution (The Bill of Rights)
- the 11th and 12th Amendments
10.The Azores are:
- Symptoms of a tropical disease
- A famous family of acrobats
- Organs near your liver
- Lakes in Africa
- Islands in the Atlantic Ocean
© 2006-2017 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.