TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of August 14, 2020
1.Ashes, coal, and diamonds all contain: (5 points)
2.If you add the years together, which is greatest? (20 points)
- The year Armstrong walked on the moon plus the year of Pearl Harbor
- The year of the Battle of Gettysburg plus the year of JFK's assassination
- The year Prohibition was ratified plus the year of the Emancipation Proclamation
- The year of the Constitution plus the year of the Challenger explosion
- The year Mayflower landed plus the year the of Woodstock Music Festival
3.What two numbers come next in this sequence. 5, 25, 10, 6, 36, 20, 7, 49, 30, 8, (10 points)
- 63, 70
- 75, 50
- 68, 35
- 64, 40
- 62, 30
4.Which sentence is an example of understatement? (10 points)
- The summer in cities causes some slight air quality problems.
- Some athletes are as strong as bulls.
- Swift swimmers strive skillfully to splash safely at the shore.
- The waves crashed on the shore as the riptide reached out to grab swimmers.
- Parents keep an eagle-eye on their children's safety.
5.The Andes mountain chain extends through all but which of the following South American countries? (10 points)
6.Which word doesn't fit? (10 points)
7.John paid $5.25 for a 3/4 pound box of peanut butter fudge. How much would a full pound of the same fudge cost? (5 points)
8.One of these gases was used in blimps, but was no longer used after the Hindenberg: (5 points)
9.The two largest American gold rushes have been in: (5 points)
- Alaska and California
- Alaska and Hawaii
- Nevada and Colorado
- California and Nevada
- Arizona and New Mexico
10.Which NFL cities also acted as hosts for the 2016 Democratic and Republican conventions? (20 points)
- The Browns' and the Chiefs' cities
- The Eagles' and the Browns' cities
- The Steelers' and the Patriots' cities
- The Buccaneers' and the Saints' home cities
- The Bears' and the Seahawks' cities
© 2006-2020 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.