TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of August 17, 2018
1.If you add the years together, which is greatest? (20 points)
- The year of the Battle of Gettysburg plus the year of JFK's assassination
- The year of the Constitution plus the year of the Challenger explosion
- The year Armstrong walked on the moon plus the year of Pearl Harbor
- The year Mayflower landed plus the year the of Woodstock Music Festival
- The year Prohibition was ratified plus the year of the Emancipation Proclamation
2.Ashes, coal, and diamonds all contain: (5 points)
3.The Andes mountain chain extends through all but which of the following South American countries? (10 points)
4.John paid $5.25 for a 3/4 pound box of peanut butter fudge. How much would a full pound of the same fudge cost? (5 points)
5.Which sentence is an example of understatement? (10 points)
- The summer in cities causes some slight air quality problems.
- The waves crashed on the shore as the riptide reached out to grab swimmers.
- Parents keep an eagle-eye on their children's safety.
- Some athletes are as strong as bulls.
- Swift swimmers strive skillfully to splash safely at the shore.
6.The two largest American gold rushes have been in: (5 points)
- Arizona and New Mexico
- Alaska and Hawaii
- Alaska and California
- Nevada and Colorado
- California and Nevada
7.What two numbers come next in this sequence. 5, 25, 10, 6, 36, 20, 7, 49, 30, 8, (10 points)
- 64, 40
- 62, 30
- 63, 70
- 75, 50
- 68, 35
8.One of these gases was used in blimps, but was no longer used after the Hindenberg: (5 points)
9.Which word doesn't fit? (10 points)
10.Which NFL cities also acted as hosts for the 2016 Democratic and Republican conventions? (20 points)
- The Bears' and the Seahawks' cities
- The Browns' and the Chiefs' cities
- The Buccaneers' and the Saints' home cities
- The Eagles' and the Browns' cities
- The Steelers' and the Patriots' cities
© 2006-2018 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.