An Icebreaker Activity for High School
Here are a few questions which should "loosen up" even the more jaded high school student. You can copy/paste them into a handout or simply project on a screen.
(Hint: use the window shade tool on your interactive whiteboard to reveal questions one at a time)
If they're a competitive group, see scoring below.
1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom?
2. How many states are there? ( don't laugh, some people don't know)
3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch?
4. What 6 colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label?
5. What 2 letters don't appear on the telephone dial? (no cheating!)
6. What 2 #'s don't have letters by them?
7. When you walk does your left arm swing w/ you right or left leg?
8. How many matches are in a standard pack?
9. On our flag, is the top stripe red or white?
10. What is the lowest # on the FM dial?
11. Which way does water go down the drain, counter- or clockwise?
12. Which way does a "no smoking" sign's slash run?
13. How many channels on a VHF TV dial?
14. Which side of a women's blouse are the buttons on?
15. On a NY license plate, is New York on the top or bottom?
16. Which way do fans rotate?
17. Whose face is on a dime?
18. How many sides does a stop sign have?
19. Do books have even # pages on the right or left side?
20. How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel?
21. How many sides are there on a standard pencil?
22. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing?
23. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package?
25. On which playing card is the cardmaker's trademark?
26. On which side of a venetian blind is the cord that adjusts the opening between the slats?
27. On the back of a dollar bill, what is in the center?
28. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear no digits?
29. How many curves are in a standard paper clip?
30. Does a merry-go-round turn clockwise or counterclockwise?
4. blue, red, white, yellow, black, and gold
5. Q, Z
11. Actually, it depends on the plumbing fixture. The notion that the water direction varies with the hemisphere you are in has been disproved!
12. towards bottom right
13. 12 ( no #1)
16. clockwise as you look at it
18. 8 What about the front side and back side? I think it also could be 10.
24. did you notice there wasn't one?
25. Ace of spades
28. *, #
30-28 Mensa is calling, genius
25-27 Not too shabby
20-24 You could do better
16-19 McDonald's is calling ( would you like fries w/ that?)
15 or below...Wake up!
Want to see more ideas?
See a full list of reviewed resources ideal for first day activities.