How Can Rubrics Be Used Effectively?
Rubrics are simple yet highly-effective tools that benefit students, teachers, and parents. Students gain an understanding of their learning goals and the teacher's expectations and parents can then comprehend what and how well their child is achieving. Teachers can utilize rubrics through technology to expedite multiple assessment and evaluation strategies. Well thought-out rubrics that provide clear expectations are effective instructional tools and assessment mechanisms. Rubrics are most effective when they contain:
- Criteria: Specific criteria help students know what to expect.
- Gradations: Gradations are a scale that helps a student to understand his or her performance level.
- Descriptions: Descriptive language allows students to verify and understand their scores.
- Continuity: All descriptors should model and reflect consistent levels throughout the rubric.
- Reliability: A reliable rubric allows an educator to judge the first graded essay the same as the fiftieth graded essay.
- Validity: A rubric possessing validity will successfully score what is central to the performance or assignments.